Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
I thought about the possibilities, like doing a chocolate donut with coffee in the mix somehow (trust me, that will happen later). I also looked at doing an apple cider donut – though that becomes a problem when you have no cider on hand. I decided to go with cinnamon sugar, pure and simple.
My grandmother in Minnesota always has a little jar of cinnamon sugar mixed up when we visit her house. She always knows exactly the right amount of butter to put on toast for maximum cinnamon sugar absorbance. When we visit her house, she has their tiny coffee pot up and running at 5 a.m., and is listening to this talk radio station that also plays polka music in the kitchen as the rest of us slowly stagger into the kitchen, exhausted from relaxing. I am pretty sure that between the four of us kids, she sometimes went through most of a loaf of bread when we all visited at the same time.
That's what these donuts make me think of.
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Use a fork to stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a pourable vessel, use a fork to combine the milk, eggs, vanilla and butter. Add the liquids to the mixing bowl and combine with a whisk or a spatula. Use a piping bag or a spoon to fill two 6-cavity donut pans about 3/4 full in each spot. Bake for about 12 minutes.
- For the topping, it's just like toast. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a microwave safe bowl. In another bowl, mix 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar with your desired amount of cinnamon – I think a 2:1 ratio is too much, so I would do maybe 1.5 to 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and see where that gets you. Taste the mixture, if you aren't sure. I have been making cinnamon sugar so long that I recognize the color when I get there.
- Dip the donuts one by one into the butter, then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Enjoy with coffee.