Irish Coffee Cupcakes
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp instant-espresso powder
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cupcakes: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour water over espresso powder; let cool. Combine espresso with milk. Beat butter and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with espresso-milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour (batter may look broken).
- Fill 15 cups (of two 12-cup muffin tins) three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool; turn out cupcakes from tins.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tbsp whiskey
- Instant-espresso powder, for dusting
- Make the frosting: Whisk together cream and confectioners' sugar until medium peaks form. Add whiskey; whisk until slightly stiff peaks form.
- Top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons frosting; dust with espresso powder.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2010
More from Martha Stewart:
Quick, One-Pot Meal Ideas To Feed the Whole Family
Grilled Cheese Recipes for Grown-Ups
22 Chicken Dinner Recipes in Less Than 30 Minutes
47 Ways to Maximize Space in Your Kitchen
Delicious Desserts in 15 Minutes or Less