In a move some believe is forgiving illegal activity and others say is practical in an imperfect world, undocumented immigrants in California can register for a drivers license starting Friday.
The state's department of motor vehicles expects huge lines in the coming weeks with 1.4 million immigrants expected to file for licenses over the next three years.
California's legislature passed Assembly Bill 60 in the fall of 2013 with Democrats saying it would make highways safer by encouraging undocumented immigrants already driving to learn the state's rules of the road.
As with virtually any issue related to undocumented immigrants, of course, there are detractors.
"I think it legitimizes being here illegally," Pat Tyson, a Glendale resident, told KABC. "We all have rules to follow and then we get rewards from following those rules."
The Los Angeles Times spoke with several undocumented immigrants who say they often avoid driving at night or altogether not wanting to risk an expensive run-in with a traffic officer.
A supporter with a nonprofit group offering driving preparation classes to immigrants said, "It's going to change everything. Once people are able to lose a little bit of the fear they had of being on the road, that will increase participation."
To get a license, drivers will have to prove they live in California and pass tests like vision, a written exam and a behind-the wheel test. The state's DMV website says it hired an extra 900 workers to handle all the extra people coming in for licenses.
The National Immigration Law Center now lists California as 1 of 10 states to allow undocumented immigrants to apply for a drivers license.
The Los Angeles Times reports undocumented immigrants could get licenses in California up until 1993 when state lawmakers passed a bill requiring first-time applicants to provide a Social Security number.
This video includes images from Getty Images.
Also on AOL:
Former NY Gov. Mario Cuomo dies at 82
Massive star lives in this mobile home
Woman left home minutes before freak accident
What if Hillary doesn't run for president?
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- The most delicious and loaded baked potato recipes on TikTok
- Mom’s fudgy lactation brownies are a hit with TikTok: ‘This is going t…
- Mom ‘can’t stop laughing’ when daughter doesn’t know how to use her bi…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!