Lighter Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves (12 to 14 ounces each)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp dried thyme leaves
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 phyllo sheets (each 12 by 17 inches), thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast (avoiding bone) registers 165 degrees, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly; discard skin and bones. Shred meat, and set aside.
- While chicken is roasting, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add carrots, onion, and thyme; season with salt and pepper, and cook until carrots are crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add flour, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Remove from heat; stir in peas, lemon juice, and chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Pour filling into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Stack phyllo on a work surface. Using a paring knife, cut out an 11-inch circle from the stack; discard trimmings. Stack 2 circles on work surface, and brush gently with 1 teaspoon oil; repeat with remaining circles and oil. Place phyllo stack over filling, and press down about 1/2 inch from the edge so phyllo fits inside rim of pie plate. Bake until golden and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let potpie cool 15 minutes before serving.
More from Martha Stewart:
53 Heart-Shaped Ways to Say "I Love You"
Can't Get Your Hands on a Cronut? Make These Crazy Hybrid Desserts Instead
Quick, One-Pot Meal Ideas To Feed the Whole Family
Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
20 Classic Comfort Food Recipes from Martha Stewart