Apple-Butter French Toast Sandwiches
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ cup apple butter
- 2 tsp confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs and egg whites, granulated sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Place 4 bread slices in milk mixture and let soak 1 minute per side. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add soaked bread to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Wipe out skillet. Repeat with remaining bread.
- Spread each of 4 slices with 1 tablespoon apple butter. Top with remaining slices and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
More from Martha Stewart:
The Science Behind the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
35 Beyond Delicious No-Bake Dessert Recipes
Quick, One-Pot Meal Ideas To Feed the Whole Family
15-Minute Dinner Recipes for Everyone
You've Never Seen Avocado Toast Like This
Photography: Romulo Yanes