New research suggests the majority of adult cancer cases are caused by bad luck.
Johns Hopkins researchers found two-thirds of adult cancers are primarily caused by random mutations that take place when stem cells divide. (Video Via National Cancer Institute)
HealthDay explains stem cells naturally regenerate to replace cells that have already died.
Every time this happens, there's a chance that some of the cell's DNA can mutate. The more mutations, the greater a person's risk of developing cancer. (Video via YouTube / Chemotherapy.com)
Researchers note it is usually a combination of luck, environment and heredity that can cause cancer, but it generally still all comes down to luck- giving the example of smoking.
While smoking raises cancer risk, in rare cases, lifelong smokers might never develop any complications. Basically, they can get really lucky. (Video Via CNN)
"Many forms of cancer are due largely to the bad luck ... regardless of lifestyle and heredity factors. The best way to eradicate these cancers will be through early detection, when they are still curable by surgery," said researcher Bert Vogelstein.
Researchers believe this study may alter people's perception about cancer risk and aid in the development of new strategies to fight cancer.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Upgrade your favorite foods with these easy air fryer hacks
- Learn the basics of at-home baking with this perfect chocolate chip co…
- Chriselle Lim is changing the way millennial and Gen Z moms work
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!