Target's Annie-inspired clothing ads are drawing criticism for focusing on a white model, rather than staying true to the latest film and featuring an African-American one. Particularly upset by the decision is a mother who started a petition on Change.org after her daughter asked some tough questions about the campaign. That woman told Yahoo, "She saw the ad and said to me, 'That's not what Annie looks like. How come the new black Annie isn't good enough? Does that mean I'm not good enough?'"
Her demand that Target pull the ads was quickly posted on the Internet. She also requested that the company issue an apology to Quvenzhané Wallis, who plays the titular role in the new film, and questioned why the actress wasn't hired to promote the clothing in the first place.
A Target spokesperson did respond to that inquiry, saying that the company had discussed the option with Wallis, but it just didn't work out. It was also pointed out that the full campaign features girls from a variety of backgrounds as a means of stressing the universality of the 'Annie' character. Meanwhile, the petition has gathered thousands of signatures.
More on AOL:
Grandma has priceless reaction to Christmas puppy
Father and son turned away after buying fake football tickets
Woman gets revenge on cheating boyfriend with gift he never expected
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- DSW is offering up to 40 percent off on dozens of sneakers, with deals…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance