Sweet Potato Cornmeal Waffles with Bourbon Cream and Pecan Butter
Serving Size: 8
Ingredients for the Waffles:
- 1 cup sweet potato (generously packed), scooped out from 2 medium sized baked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- In a large bowl mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or with the back of a fork.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter. Pour the liquid ingredients in the dry and stir well until combined to form the batter.
- Prepare your waffle iron according to its instructions and spray with non-stick spray or grease with melted butter. Cook the waffles according to the proper method of your machine.
- ¼ cup toasted whole pecans
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- Using a spice grinder or mini-prep, grind the pecans until they are finely ground and almost have the consistency of wet sand. If there are some small pieces when you grind the pecans, they can remain. Transfer to a small bowl and mix with the softened butter. You can either place the bowl in the refrigerator to firm up or transfer to a small amount of parchment paper and form the butter into a log. Twist the ends of the parchment to seal and place in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes to firm up.
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp bourbon
- Once the waffles are completed and ready to serve, combine the heavy whipping cream and bourbon in a small container and using an immersion blender – blend on medium speed for 1 minutes or until the cream is nice and thick.
- You can also whip the cream in your stand mixer with the whisk attachment or by hand with a whisk in a cold metal bowl.
- Serve the waffles piping hot topped with pecan butter, a generous amount of bourbon cream and maple syrup.
- Makes about 8-10 waffles depending on your waffle maker.