Los Angeles police have released the autopsy of Ezell Ford, a 25-year-old, unarmed black man shot and killed by officers in August.
The autopsy reveals Ford was shot three times: in his back, his right side and his right arm. The report also tells us the wound in his back had a muzzle imprint, which means the shot was fired at close range. (Video via KTLA)
Ford was shot after being stopped by two LAPD officers. Police say Ford struggled with the officers and went for one of their guns. Police have yet to say why Ford was initially stopped by the officers.
Witnesses reportedly challenged the police's version of events, alleging there might not have been a struggle. But good luck getting anyone to say that on the record.
Last month, officials held a press conference announcing that they were struggling to gather witnesses for the case.
"People have not come forward ... although we have people in the community saying that they are such witnesses or know of witnesses, " said Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck.
Initially, the LAPD refused to release Ford's autopsy, fearing it would influence witness testimony. But that added even more fuel to the controversy.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti then gave police a deadline to release the autopsy be the end of the year, which they met Monday with just two days to spare. (Video via KABC)
Ford's family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the LAPD, accusing the officers of racial profiling and using excessive force.
Of course, police throughout the country are under scrutiny for their use of force in cases, like Ford's, involving unarmed black men.
The two officers involved in Ford's shooting have been placed on administrative duty, desk jobs basically, while the investigation is ongoing.
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- DSW is offering up to 40 percent off on dozens of sneakers, with deals…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance