Serving Size: 4 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 40 mins
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes with their juices
- ½ cup chicken broth (or veggie broth if vegetarian)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toasted pita bread
Recipe adapted from Breakfast for Dinner.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and saute, stirring occasionally, until they're tender and starting to brown. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and all the juice, broth, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer then lower heat and continue to simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the mixture is thickened.
- Crack the eggs into the sauce. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until desired doneness. I like to take them off when the whites are just set, but the yolks are still very runny. But you can continue to cook until the yolks are cooked through as well if desired. Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with parsley, basil, and feta. Serve warm with pita bread.