Chocolate Chip Scones
These scones are full of flavor and unlike many other scones that may appear to be overly dry and extra crumbly, these are moist, fluffy, and tender.
Ingredients for Scones:
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 3 oz (1/3 cup + ¼ cup) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- ¾ cup milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix all dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda) in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for about 1 minute until all ingredients are well blended.
- Meanwhile, chop milk chocolate and dark chocolate or place both chocolates in a food processor and pulse until chocolate is pea-sized.
- Add butter to bowl along with the dry ingredients. Switch speed to medium and mix until butter is pea-sized.
- Stop mixer and fold in chopped milk chocolate and dark chocolate.
- Combine egg, honey, and milk in a small bowl and whisk until all three ingredients are well combined. Turn mixer to low speed and pour wet ingredients into bowl. Continue mixing just until dough comes together.
- Sprinkle flour over work surface and dump dough over flour. Divide dough into two pieces. Work with one piece of dough at a time, rounding it, and flattening it to a 6"-7" diameter disc. Cut flattened disc with a dough scraper or a large knife into 8 equal pieces that have the shape of a triangle. Repeat the same procedure with the other half of the dough.
- Place pieces on a sheet tray that has been covered with parchment paper, placing thinner corners of the scones towards the center.
- Bake, for a total of 10-11 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking time, until scones develop a nice golden color on the top and bottom. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
- Brush surface of scones with chocolate glaze.
Ingredients for Chocolate Glaze:
- ½ cup chocolate milk
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp confectioners sugar
- Combine confectioners sugar and chocolate milk in a small bowl. Whisk until all ingredients are fully incorporated and glaze is smooth and lump-free.
For the full post, visit Sweet Lab.