Thin Me Up and Watch Me Go!
- 2 piece of balthazar whole wheat bread
- ½ small avocado, sliced
- 7 small peppadews
- 3 Tbsp crumbled goat cheese
- ⅓ cup organic honey roasted turkey breast, thinkly sliced (I used Applegate Farms)
- a few sprays of cooking oil spray (like Pam!)
- When I first made this grilled cheese I had this awesome delicious multi-grain bread with whole sunflower, flax, and sesame seeds (which made me feel like I was being even more healthy). But unfortunately the L train is running super slow because of the crazy blizzard we had last night and I didn't feel like going back into the city and dealing with it. So alas, I'm using some bread that I got at the health food (Khim's!) store across from my apartment. It's whole wheat and tasty, but not as good as the seedy bread I got at Trader Joe's. Anyways, once you've got your bread out, go ahead and sprinkle half the goat cheese onto each slice of bread.
- Now on one piece of bread pack on your avocado and on the other put down your turkey. You'll want to press the avocado and turkey into the goat cheese so it sort of sticks together. 3. This is where the recipe differs from all the other grilled cheese sandwiches I've done on this blog - you don't put the pieces of bread together! Instead you spray your skillet with some cooking oil and turn the heat up to medium high.
- Then after it's heated, put both halves into the pan and kind of rub them around in the cooking spray so it coats the bread evenly.
- After about 3 minutes the bread should look kind of toasty and golden. At this point you'll want to take the halves off the stove top and break apart the peppadews and lay them on top of the avocado. If you've never had a peppadew, you're in for a treat. These little guys can usually be found on the antipasto bar at your local market. They're sweet and a little bit spicy and SUPER addictive.
- At this point you'll have all your ingredients on the bread so you'll want to pick up the side with the turkey and basically just plop it on top of the avocado/peppadew side. The turkey will stick to the goat cheese so it won't fall off! HOORAY!
- Then just slice it down the middle and enjoy!
I'm not sure if anyone else is still trying to get over the seasonal pound packing that I've so helplessly endured, but if you are - this grilled cheese is sure to please! And don't forget, bathing suit season is right around the corner (HELP) and by eating this GC you won't have to neglect this favorite any longer (remember, grilled cheese loves you).
Read more from Grilled Cheese Social.