Owning a house can be pricey! But rent can also be expensive, especially if you live in a big city!
Since 2000, rent has jumped on average or 6% while the average income of a renter decreased by 13% (adjusted for inflation). San Francisco, San Jose, Boston, Washington, and New York are among the most expensive cities to rent in the country.
So when is rent really too high? The rule of thumb generally suggests that your rent should not exceed more than 30% of your total income. Laci Green investigates the numbers and if the rent it really too high.
More on AOL:
Paper or plastic: which bag hurts the environment more?
Why it's the best time in history to be alive
The weird way women downplay their success
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 1.99% APR (15 yr)
- Need Cash for Your Fixer Upper? Use Your Home's Equity!
- Experts Recommend Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- These are the only heels I can wear for 8+ hours totally pain-free
- Mom confesses the ‘petty’ lies she tells her kids: ‘It just makes ever…
- Bride plays ‘shoe game’ with sister at wedding to reveal they’re both …
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!