Sweet Potato and Beet Balls
Sweet Potato and Beet Balls is a simple, healthy and delectable recipe that is versatile. It can be served as an appetizer for a party with a spicy sriracha , or as balls with pasta sauce topped on a penne or even made into Indian style kofta's. The combination of beetroot and sweet potatoes cooked in a no fry method, makes it extra nutritious and delicious.
- 2 cooked and mashed medium sweet potato
- 2 packed grated medium sized beetroot
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- a small bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ cup corn flour
- salt to taste
- oil for cooking (optional)
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add in the chopped onions and garlic. Saute until the onions are translucent and turned soft. At this stage, add in the grated beetroot, turmeric powder, salt and cumin powder.
- Cover the pan and simmer on low heat until the beetroot has turned soft.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely. Once cooled, add in the corn flour, mashed sweet potatoes, coriander leaves and green chilies. Check the salt levels and combine all the ingredients well.
- Make small lemon sized balls and keep aside. You can cook them in two ways.
- Bake them: Place the balls in a baking tray and into the preheated oven (200C). Bake for about 30 minutes or until you see the balls have begun to brown/golden. Prick the balls with a toothpick to check if it comes out cooked and not raw. Turn the oven off and serve the balls with your favorite sauce like Schezwan Sauce, Honey Mustard Sauce or Sriracha Sauce.
- Or, use a Paniyaram pan: Paniyaram Pans are very versatile. I like to steam many batters which require deep frying, like making dahi vada's, gobi manchurian or even these balls. Grease the paniyaram pan with a little oil. Place the balls into the holes of the pan. Heat the pan on medium heat. After about 3-4 minutes you will notice the top part steamed and the bottom part browning. At this point, turn over each ball and allow it to roast on the other side. Allow it to cook on medium low heat until the both sided are browned and crisp.
- Once done, remove and arrange on serving trays. Serve the balls with your favorite sauce like Schezwan Sauce, Honey Mustard Sauce or Sriracha Sauce.