By RYAN GORMAN
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio was booed Monday morning by cadets at the NYPD Academy graduation ceremony.
Boo birds greeted the mayor as he walked to the Madison Square Garden podium to address the incoming class of nearly 900. Only a select few in the audience turned their backs to de Blasio as he spoke.
The jeers came only two days after dozens turned their backs on him as he delivered a eulogy for slain detective Rafael Ramos.
The mayor spoke at length about the sacrifice made by Ramos and his partner, detective Wenjian Liu, adding "blessed are the peacemakers, for they are the children of God."
De Blasio praised the two assassinated officers, saying they made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of duty and honor to their city -- the type of duty and honor expected of the incoming cadets.
"It takes a special kind of person to put their lives on the line for others, to stare down the danger," said de Blasio, adding that the incoming recruits face "problems [they] didn't create."
A heckler yelled "you created them," but audience members attempted to drown him out with applause that appeared to be for de Blasio.
The mayor continued with his speech, praising the department and Commissioner Bill Bratton, who spoke immediately after the embattled former city advocate.
De Blasio also spoke of enhanced training and an initiative to put a smartphone and tablet in the hands of every NYPD officer for access to real-time information, an apparent reference to the all-points-bulletin (APB) received by the department for the man who gunned down Liu and Ramos.
The APB was sent from Baltimore only minutes before the grim murders.
Mayor de Blasio left the stage to moderate, if not tepid, applause.
No cadets turned their backs to the mayor, but a few audience members were pictured facing away from de Blasio as he spoke.
- Latest mortgage news: Rates pushing toward 7%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- TikToker captures his mom’s hilarious laugh: ‘It’s like she’s got a…
- Love fresh flowers? TikTok is obsessed with these silk tulips that loo…
- J.Crew’s lady jackets will help you channel effortless French girl sty…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!