Apple Pie Oatmeal
I promise this breakfast isn't as indulgent as it sounds, but it's definitely as good as it sounds! I just started making this version of oatmeal this fall and I can't seem to get enough of it. The flavors are so reminiscent of a warm apple pie, you'll be shocked that you're actually eating oatmeal.
Serving Size: 2
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 firm crisp apple, peeled and diced
- ½ cup milk (whatever kind you have is fine)
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- extra cinnamon and maple syrup for serving
- Place the water, milk, and salt in a saucepan. Cover and set to high heat. While waiting to boil, prepare the apples.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Let heat until butter is bubbling, then toss in the diced apples. Cook stirring occasionally until soft but not mushy, 5-7 minutes. Once cooked, remove apples from the heat. In the same pan, place brown sugar and cinnamon on top of the apples, and toss until the sugar has melted and the apples are well coated.
- Once the water and milk mixture is boiling, drop in your oats and cook over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes, until softened. Once cooked, place the lid on the pot and let the oats rest for 5 minutes, absorbing any excess liquid. After they've rested pour the apples into the oats and stir to combine. Serve immediately with a drizzle of maple syrup and sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
Read more from Channeling Contessa.