Slow Cooker Italian Beer & Beef Chili
Chili is a wonderful meal to make for any occasion as it is high in fiber, filling and goes a long way. I chose to make this version using Italian beer as the base; as well as a lean ground beef (90/10), but you can also substitute ground turkey or chicken in it's place.
The beer with the addition of fire roasted tomatoes gave this chili a wonderful flavor. It's also a great dish to serve when having guests as it can keep warm in the slow cooker so they can help themselves. Serve it 'as-is', over rice or egg noodles or use it top hot dogs, burgers or nachos.
Serving Size: 20 | Prep Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 6 hrs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 12 oz bottle Italian beer (I used Birra Moretti)
- In a large, nonstick frying pan brown the ground beef; then add the onions, peppers and garlic.
- Saute until the vegetables start to soften; then add the mixture to your slow cooker.
- Add the beans, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and beer and mix well.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.
Read more from Carrie's Experimental Kitchen.