Gluten-Free Drunken Noodles (Pad Kee Mao)
You do have to made some adjustments on this recipe to make it gluten-free, but I was able to find substitutes for all of the sauces that I think work just fine.
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced or roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 thai chillies, chopped (use more or less depending on how spicy you want it)
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup black soy sauce (2 tablespoons of molasses mixed with 2 tablespoons of gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce (make 1/4 cup of this by using 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce, 2 tablespoons chicken broth and 1 teaspoon sugar)
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce (Lee Kum Kee, Green Label)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 lb (I would use 1/2 lb next time or chicken breast - you can use any meat you want or tofu/veggies)
- 1 package of wide rice noodles¼ cup thai basil, chopped*
- 1 tsp sugar
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of peanut oil (or vegetable oil) in a wok until shimmering. Add carrots and green pepper, cook until almost softened. Remove carrots from wok and add shallot and onions, cook until translucent.
- Add thai chillies and ginger, cook for 30 seconds. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds, but do not brown. Add chicken (or other meat/veggies), and cook through about 3-4 minutes. Add beaten egg and cook until just scrambled. Add cabbage, and cook for 1 minute. Add black soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar and golden mountain sauce.
- Cook for one minute and add rice noodles. Toss until thoroughly coated. Add thai basil, and 1-2 teaspoons of sugar. Give it another toss and you're done!
*Note: There is a difference between Thai and Holy basil. The notable difference is that Thai basil has purple stems and Holy basil does not. Never use sweet/Italian basil in place of Thai basil, it does not taste the same. Most Asian grocery stores will carry all of the ingredients above.
Read more from Mister Belly.