Tomato Stelline and Escarole Soup with Anchovy Toast
Serving Size: 6 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 40 mins
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrot
- ½ red onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp Vegeta (optional seasoning mix)
- dried Italian herb
- 28 oz cans peeled stewed tomatoes
- 6 cup chicken stock
- 1 head escarole washed and chopped
- 1 ½ cup stelline pasta
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp anchovy paste
- dried parsley
- In a large stock pot, add the olive oil. Heat on medium high.
- Add the chopped carrots, onion, garlic. Sauté on medium heat for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the Vegeta (optional) and dried Italian Herbs. Stir.
- Add the tomatoes and the liquid. Pulse with a immersion blender until pureed.
- Add either the chicken soup base and water or the chicken stock.
- Pulse again with the immersion blender until completely pureed.
- Bring up to slight boil, and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add the escarole. Simmer until wilted.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the Stelline pasta.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper or more Vegeta.
- While the soup is simmering, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cut the baguette into rounds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the butter at room temperature with the anchovy paste until spreadable.
- Spread butter onto bread.
- Sprinkle dried parsley flakes.
- Bake, watching carefully until golden. You may raise the temp slightly to 425 the last few minutes to ensure golden crispness.
- Serve with the soup while hot.
Read more from Coco Cooks.