Chili Dogs with a Chili Sauce
I love making chili and I love chili dogs. However, when I add my normal chili recipe to a hot dog I get good results, not fantastic results. So a few days ago I went on a search for a real chili dog chili sauce recipe. I found a recipe that really intrigued me. There were no beans and the meat entirely came from finely shredded flank steak. After I saw that I knew I had to make this chili. This type of chili is referred to as a "chili sauce" and is a fantastic topping for hotdogs.
Serving Size: 16
Ingredients for the Chili Sauce:
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 medium onion
- 2 ½ large celery stalks
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup chili sauce (like Heinz)
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp Frank's Hot Sauce (or any similar hot sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 16 angus beef franks
- 16 potato rolls
- mild cheddar cheese
- diced yellow onion
- yellow mustard
- Chop the steak and onion into 1-2 inch pieces. Chop the celery into 2-3 inch pieces.
- Place the flank steak into a food processor. At this time I put the vegetable oil into a large sauce pan (about 4.5 qt size) and set it to medium-medium high heat.
- Using the pulse feature of the food processor pulse the steak 35-45 times, about 2-3 seconds each until the consistency looks like the above picture. Scrape the meat into the sauce pan and stir. Put the onions, garlic, and celery into the food processor and pulse until they are just as fine as the steak. Scrape this mixture into the sauce pan as well.
- Keep stirring the mixture until all of the red color disappears. You don't have to get all of the moisture out but keep it cooking until the meat becomes gray (about 15 minutes).
- While you are stirring the meat you can start mixing the ingredients for the sauce. I used a measuring cup and added the ingredients right in. Add the ketchup, chili sauce, yellow mustard, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and ground cloves into the measuring cup and stir.
- Pour this mixture into the sauce pan. Stir often and let the chili simmer for about 20 minutes. Use to top hotdogs.