I hate football, but I love the Sunday afternoon ritual of eating wings at a sports bar and pretending to watch the game. For those of you gluten-free folks tailgating in the comfort of your home, give this basket of veggie goodness a try.
To make these a little healthier, I used pressed safflower oil for frying and served them alongside nonfat Greek yogurt instead of blue cheese dressing.
Serving Size: 4 | Prep Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 15 mins
- 2 qt safflower or canola oil, for frying
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 2 Tbsp butter or Earth Balance, melted
- ¼ cup hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot
- In a medium Dutch oven or skillet heat the oil over high flame.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the cornstarch and whisk until smooth. Fold in the cauliflower.
- Test the oil to make sure it's hot enough by adding one battered floret. The cauliflower should rise to the surface almost immediately and begin bubbling. When the oil is hot, add the cauliflower florets, shaking off any excess batter in the bowl. Fry in batches until the florets are golden brown, about 2 minutes total, stirring once to redistribute in the oil. Remove to a towel-lined plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, in another large mixing bowl, stir together the butter and hot sauce. Add the fried cauliflower and toss until well-coated in the buffalo sauce. Serve immediately alongside carrot and celery sticks and your sauce of choice.