A massive hack, terrorist threats and widespread fear all led to Sony's movie "The Interview" being pulled from major theaters.
All the press surrounding the film created a lot of hype and might have added to viewer expectations.
But now that it's been released online and in select theaters, can we say the comedy actually lived up to the hype? In short, no.
The reviews are in and while there is some praise, for the most part it's not pretty.
The U.K.'s Express calls it "A seriously bad movie," pointing to an overarching conclusion among critics that it's just not funny.
While a writer for The Verge is, well, a bit more blunt, "there is nothing revolutionary about the screening and viewing of The Interview. ... The Interview is a bad movie that trivializes one of the worst ongoing human rights violations on our planet right now, and its distribution ... will change absolutely nothing."
But let's be real here. The movie stars Seth Rogan and James Franco - and neither are known for their political commentary.
Did we really expect "The Interview" to be some life-altering, eye-opening film meant to expose the horrors of the Hermit Kingdom?
Variety doesn't defend the film - far from it - but the outlet does make a good point. "The hype around 'The Interview' suggests a take-no-prisoners dirty bomb of a movie." Something it probably was never even meant to be.
There is one person who is reportedly happy the movie opened,"I'm glad it's being released. Merry Christmas everybody," said President Obama to CNN.
In addition to those select theaters, Sony is now streaming the film on Google Play, YouTube and Xbox.
This video includes images from Getty Images.
Also on AOL:
Festive holiday homes light up the night
Family has world's largest Christmas light display
Family of 10 loses everything in minutes
How many fad toys have you owned?
The Latest from our Partners
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- DSW is offering up to 40 percent off on dozens of sneakers, with deals…
- An Insane card offering 0% interest until nearly 2021
- 7 outrageous credit cards if you have excellent credit
- Cards charging 0% interest until 2021
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…