Mexican Chicken Quinoa Casserole
By Well Plated
Serving Size: 6 | Prep Time: 25 mins | Total Time: 50 mins
An easy Mexican chicken casserole your entire family will love! Cooked quinoa is mixed with creamy Greek yogurt, two types of cheese, black beans, fresh vegetables, and Mexican spices to create a healthy, all-in-one dinner.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 Tbsp, plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 can (15. oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 can (15. oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup freshly grated cheddar cheese, divided
- ¾ cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese, divided Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large casserole dish (about 5 quarts) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place 2 cups water and quinoa in a large saucepan, then bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, still covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large, deep sauté pan or pot, heat the olive oil over medium high. Add the onion and bell pepper, then sauté until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Continue to sauté until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, drained tomatoes and cook 1 additional minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the black beans, reserved quinoa, Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Top with remaining mozzarella and cheddar, then bake, uncovered until hot and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil, then continue cooking until the cheese is lightly browned, about 3-4 additional minutes, watching carefully so that the cheese does not burn. Let rest 5 minutes, garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve.
For the full post, visit The Law Student's Wife.