Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Pancakes
These pancakes are light and fluffy with a bright, lemony flavor. They're studded with vibrant blueberries, which are packed with disease-fighting antioxidants. To incorporate some whole grains into the recipe, the pancake batter has a mixture of white whole wheat flour and all purpose flour.
Serving Size: 6
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 ¼ cup light buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- ½ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 6 oz blueberries
- Whisk both types of flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolks, buttermilk, sugar, lemon juice, zest and ricotta cheese together in a large bowl.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat them until soft peaks form. Alternatively, you can use a hand held mixer and a clean bowl to beat the egg whites.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients until just combined (do not over mix). Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until they are incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Heat a large nonstick pan or griddle over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Using a ¼ cup measure, spoon the batter into the pan in batches. Scatter some blueberries on each pancake.
- Cook until the pancakes start to bubble around the edges and get lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Flip the pancakes over and cook until golden brown on the other side, 2-3 minutes more. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Alternatively, you may place the pancakes on a baking sheet in the oven at 200 degrees to keep them warm until all of them are cooked. Serve pancakes alone or with maple syrup, if desired. Garnish with remaining blueberries and lemon zest.