Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
By I Bake He Shoots
Serving Size: 14 | Prep Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 44 mins
These chocolate zucchini muffins are not too sweet and somewhat healthy.
1 ½ cup all-purpose white flour
⅔ cup whole wheat flour (or substitute white flour)
1 cup granulated sugar, plus
1½ tbsp. for garnish
3 Tbsp non-alkalized or Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder (used Clabber Girl Baking Powder)
½ tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips, divided
⅓ cup canola oil
2 medium zucchinis (7-inch long), cut into chunks
⅓ cup low-fat or non-fat vanilla yogurt
2 eggs, large
⅔ cup chopped walnuts
Recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Muffins slightly adapted from Clabber Girl
- Line standard muffin pan with 12 muffin cup liners or use baking spray to coat pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place both flours, baking powder, sugar, cocoa powder and ½ cup chocolate chips in a food processor. Pulse until chocolate chips are finely ground. While the processor is running, add canola oil in a low stream. Scrape sides and pulse until combined. Place chocolate mixture in a large bowl.
- Add chopped zucchini to food processor and pulse until finely chopped (you should have about 1½ cups). Add zucchini to chocolate mixture.
- Place eggs and yogurt in processor and pulse until blended. Add to zucchini/chocolate mixture. Mix until just combined. Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among muffin cups until almost full. Top muffins evenly with 1½ tablespoon of sugar. Bake in middle rack of oven for 20-24 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Keep in airtight container at room temperature for 3 days (If it's hot the sugar tops may melt a bit).