BBQ Pulled Chicken with Balsamic Onions and Slaw
By Chef Billy Parisi
This BBQ Pulled Chicken recipe is easy to make and delicious thanks to the slow cooker. It tastes great with balsamic onions and creamy slaw.
Ingredients for the Chicken:
- 3 seasoned and cooked chicken breasts
- 1 bottle of your favorite bbq sauce
- ½ cup water
- 6 toasted brioche buns
- Place the cooked chicken breasts, bbq sauce and water in a slow cooker lined with a slow cooker liner on low heat for 8 hours. Once cooked, pull apart the chicken using two forks to shred it.
- 1 sliced red onion
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Next, in a medium size saute pan on medium high with butter, caramelize the onions (this can take up to 30 minutes to do so). After 10 to 15 minutes of cooking the onions add in the sugar to help sweeten and caramelize. After 20 to 25 more minutes of cooking, deglaze with the onions with balsamic vinegar and cook until the balsamic vinegar is almost gone. Once cooked, set aside.
Ingredients for the Slaw:
- 1 bag of chopped coleslaw mix
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp celery seed
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seed, salt and pepper and toss in the chopped coleslaw mix (you will have to chop the coleslaw mix as it comes to you shredded).
- To Serve: Place the bbq pulled chicken on a toasted bun and top off with the caramelized balsamic onions and a tablespoon or two of creamy coleslaw.