Gluten free and vegetarian, this spicy Shakshuka recipe is a satisfying one pot meal for any time of year.
Serving Size: 4 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 40 mins
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes with their juices½ cup chicken broth (or veggie broth if vegetarian)1 tsp ground cumin1 tsp smoked paprika½ tsp dried oregano½ tsp salt¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper6 large eggs8 basil leaves, chopped3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley⅓ cup crumbled feta cheeseToasted pita bread
Recipe adapted from Breakfast for Dinner.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and saute, stirring occasionally, until they're tender and starting to brown. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and all the juice, broth, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer then lower heat and continue to simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the mixture is thickened.
- Crack the eggs into the sauce. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until desired doneness. I like to take them off when the whites are just set, but the yolks are still very runny. But you can continue to cook until the yolks are cooked through as well if desired. Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with parsley, basil, and feta. Serve warm with pita bread.