Sweet Pea Salad with Scallion, Bacon, & Lemon Cream Dressing
This salad is so easy to make it's barely a recipe, and even though it has just a few ingredients, it's not lacking flavor at all. With a lot of my recipes, I say that it's fine to go ahead and make the dish if you're missing an ingredient or two, but with this salad, each component brings an essential flavor to the mix.
The highlight is the lemon cream, which is used to dress the salad. It sounds so similar that you might not realize it's not your typical creamy lemon salad dressing; no, this is something else entirely. This is whipped cream flavored simply with lemon and a touch of sugar and salt for balance. It adds a surprisingly light feel, but at the same time richness to the dish. This airy dressing dissipates on your tongue, leaving you with a bit of richness that's pleasantly contrasted by the lemon. It is the perfect way to simply dress peas.
Serving Size: 4 | Prep Time: 5 mins | Total Time: 15 mins
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 10 oz (285 g) frozen sweet green peas (not thawed)
- 3 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, pulled from the stems
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add the bacon and fry until crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to cool and drain off the excess oil.
- Fill a medium saucepan half-full with water and bring it to a rolling boil; add a generous sprinkling of salt. Stir in the frozen peas and time them for 45 seconds. Strain the peas and let them cool.
- Combine the bacon, peas, scallion, parsley leaves, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl, and then pour it onto a serving dish; chill until serving.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whipping cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- For the dressing, whip the cream until thickened enough so that when you spoon a dollop, it stays without spreading out too much. Whisk in the lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and salt.
- Right before serving, dollop the Lemon Cream Dressing onto the salad.
For the full post, visit An Edible Mosaic.