By RYAN GORMAN
U.S. President Barack Obama's approval rating has hit a 2014 high, but pales in comparison to Americans' opinions of a former president during his second term.
Just under 47 percent of Americans approve of the job President Obama is doing, according to a new Gallup poll. The bump comes amid a number of positive developments during his second term in office.
Recent developments including the easing of sanctions against Cuba, an improving economy and even his tough stance on Ferguson may have led to the rise in sentiment.
Obama may also have benefitted from the "Colbert Bump," a phenomenon where politicians appearing on the since-discontinued "Colbert Report" saw their numbers rise shortly after visiting the show.
Obama's poll numbers are high, but not his highest.
He rode into office in 2009 with a 67 percent approval rating, but a slowing economy, his handling of Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, his handling of ISIS terrorists and other factors have led to a precipitous drop in positive sentiment.
The president's approval rating had dipped as low as 40 percent earlier as recently as six-weeks ago.
Compared against other two-term presidents, Obama fares well only against George W. Bush.
The second Bush to hold the Oval Office was drowning in an underwhelming approval rating of only 37 percent at this point in his second term, December 2006.
Obama compares favorably to Ronald Reagan, who sat tight with a 48 percent approval rating in December 1986.
Dwight Eisenhower's 58 percent approval rating in December 1958 would be an all-time high if not for Bill Clinton.
Clinton, despite being in the middle of an impeachment proceeding for lying about an extra-marital affair with intern Monica Lewinsky, held an overwhelming 67 percent approval rating.
The country was in the middle of a dotcom boom, stocks were soaring and incomes were robust.
Clinton remains the only president other than Andrew Johnson to be impeached. Johnson also retained his place in the Oval Office.
Obama has just over two years left in his second term.
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate hits pause — but still near 13-y…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Brighten up your day with these refreshing iced tea recipes
- ‘Unforgettable’ footage of mother-son dance goes viral across social m…
- These are the 12 absolute best Memorial Day deals you don’t want to mi…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!