Chicken & Quinoa Salad with BBQ-Spiced Vinaigrette
By JJ Begonia
This is one of my all-time favorite salad mixes, since it has so many great textures and flavors – creamy avocado, crunchy tortilla strips, juicy tomatoes, sweet corn, a slightly spicy dressing, and a healthy hit of protein to boot.
Serving Size: 2 | Prep Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 30 mins
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 - 2 heads romaine lettuce (I also added a few leaves of butter lettuce for texture), chopped
- ½ cup shredded chicken (I prefer white meat, but you can use any combo/proportion of chicken you like)
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup - 1/2 cup cooked corn
- ¼ cup - 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- tortilla strips (I slice corn tortillas and toast them at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until crisp - but you can also use any kind of chip or taco shell here, for crunch)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- For the salad: Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. With these measurements, you will have enough for 2 very big salads, or 4 small salads.
- 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic
- For the dressing: Add all ingredients to a mason jar (or an old, clean, condiment jar) and shake! Use sparingly on the salad, as this dressing has a kick to it!
For the full post, visit JJ Begonia.