Expectant parents have a lot to look forward to through the duration of a pregnancy - Lamaze classes, for one.
"Nothing can prepare you for the battle that is childbirth, unless of course you've given birth before or have been repeatedly kicked in the stomach by a kangaroo."(Video via YouTube / BYUtv)
There's also the feeling of "Hey, did I put this crib together properly?" and the bundle, or bundles, of joy at the end of the road.
Studies have shown mothers go through hormonal changes along the way - and we totally understand why - but they aren't the only ones. Dads experience hormonal changes of their own.
In a study involving 29 expectant heterosexual couples, University of Michigan researchers tracked levels of four different hormones: salivary testosterone, cortisol, estradiol and progesterone. Levels in all four hormones increased dramatically in women during their pregnancies, but researchers also noticed a gradual decrease in testosterone and estradiol in expectant fathers within the same time periods.
Previous studies have shown new dads experience a decrease in testosterone once their children are born. But the lead author of this most recent study found testosterone begins to drop much earlier for soon-to-be-proud papas.
Unfortunately, researchers still don't know exactly why testosterone drops. In this 2011 New York Times article, the writer cites experts who say the lower testosterone numbers suggest "men's bodies evolved hormonal systems that helped them commit to their families once children were born" and "it underscores that mothers were meant to have child care help."
There were limitations with this most recent study, like sample size and demographic variety of study participants. But going forward, researchers said it'll be important to see whether hormonal changes in men are associated with fatherhood or general "pair-bonding." The study is published in the American Journal of Human Biology.
This video includes images from Bethany Brown / CC BY NC SA 2.0, mooasaurus / CC BY NC SA 2.0, sandragxh / CC BY NC ND 2.0, Sean / CC BY NC SA 2.0 and Kris / CC BY NC ND 2.0.
Also on AOL:
Eight children found dead in Australian home
Family of Cuban spy searching for answers
Pakistan kills militants in wake of massacre
5-year-old boy abducted in NY found dead
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- 7 summer 2021 nail polish trends I can’t stop wearing
- This brand is on a mission to empower beauty lovers of all shapes, ski…
- 9 Prime Day deals on CeraVe’s best-selling skin care products
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!