By RYAN GORMAN
New images released by NASA show how satellites are able to see the additional illumination from high above the planet.
The series of pictures, taken in the past few weeks by satellites, show cities much brighter than normal, and illustrate the great lengths some people go to in celebrating the holiday season.
From full-fledged displays down to nativity scenes, all the lights combine to glow brighter than at any other time of the year.
The extra lights cause metropolitan areas around the country to shine as much as 50 percent brighter than usual, according to NASA. The phenomenon usually begins to show on Black Friday.
"It's a near ubiquitous signal. Despite being ethnically and religiously diverse, we found that the U.S. experiences a holiday increase that is present across most urban communities," NASA's Miguel Román wrote in a blog post about the pictures.
Only cities without snowpack were analyzed, because snow reflects too much light for an accurate observation to be made.
"Overall, we see less light increases in the dense urban centers, compared to the suburbs and small towns where you have more yard space and single-family homes," said Eleanor Stokes, a NASA Jenkins Graduate Fellow and Ph.D. candidate at Yale University who co-led the study with Román.
The effect was also noticed in Middle Eastern cities as well, but during Ramadan.
The Muslim holy month usually occurs during the summer and involves day-long fasting until dusk. Cities such as Cairo, Egypt and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia come alive at night.
Light use increases as much as 100 percent, especially at the end of the month.
"Whether you're rich or poor, or religious or not, everybody in Egypt is celebrating the Eid, or the end of Ramadan," Román said.
- Latest mortgage news: Rates keep pushing past 6% to a 14-year high
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- Woman wonders if she should give her in-laws’ gift back: ‘They obvi…
- Make perfectly fluffy scrambled eggs that never stick with this top-ra…
- Blind and deaf dog has sweet reaction to owner ‘testing’ his senses: ‘…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!