In what seems to good too be true, a new study says the key to losing weight is something you already do everyday. In fact, you're doing it right now.
All it takes is a little of this inhale, exhale action. Researchers at the University of New South Wales in Australia say breathing is how you can shed those extra pounds.
They set out to answer the question, when you lose weight, where does it go?
You see, scientists have known for some time that the excess carbs and proteins you consume are converted into a fat called triglycerides. It's a mix of three kinds of atoms - carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.
What they didn't know is what happens to that fat when it's burned off during activity. The common assumption was that it converts to heat or energy. But these researchers say that's not the case.
Instead, 84 percent of that fat turns into carbon dioxide and escapes the body through the lungs. The other 16 percent turns into water that leaves the body through urine, sweat, tears and other bodily fluids.
But don't cancel that gym membership just yet - the more you exercise, the more carbon dioxide you'll lose.
In case you weren't convinced, the study found a 154-pound person who is just sitting around exhales about 8.9 mg of carbon with every breath. But if that same person is exercising, he or she can lose an extra 40 g of carbon from the body.
So really, this study only confirms what we already knew. If you want to lose weight - eat less, move more. As the authors of the study put it: "None of this biochemistry is new, but for unknown reasons it seems nobody has thought of performing these calculations before."
And for folks hoping to get out of exercising, the researchers are clear: simply breathing really fast will only cause you to hyperventilate. For more on what not to do, check out the Christmas edition of the British Medical Journal.
More from AOL
Leaked emails reveal Alex Trebek almost left 'Jeopardy!'
Handyman wins $10,000 on his birthday
John Hopkins sends 294 rejected students an acceptance letter
- These $22 packing cubes are how I get away with only bringing a car…
- Prices are up to 60% off at Athleta’s Summer Send-Off sale — here are …
- These 10 Alexa-enabled Amazon devices are up to 60% off for a limited …
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Hilarious Kid Answers To Test Questions
- These Cake Messages Are Wrong In So Many Ways
- These Pregnancy Announcements Are Brilliantly Hilarious
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate edges up again
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise