By RYAN GORMAN
Sony has canceled the Christmas Day premier of "The Interview" after the nation's five largest movie chains decided against showing the movie.
The studio pulled the movie Wednesday after Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, Carmike Cinemas and Cineplex Entertainment dropped it from screens over concerns following a terror threat posted online.
The studio is considering a video-on-demand release, according to reports. The hackers have yet to comment on the stunning turn of events.
Sources told The Hollywood Reporter (THR) earlier in the day that Sony still planned to release the film on December 25, but insisted it would back whichever direction theater operators decided to go in.
Carmike Cinemas confirmed to THR on Tuesday the decision to drop the controversial film starring Seth Rogen and James Franco.
The other theaters declined comment.
The National Association of Theater Owners backed the decision and said in a statement to THR that the safety of moviegoers is the number one priority.
The development came less than 14 hours after a message posted by the group responsible for several Sony Pictures hacks posted a chilling message online threatening a 9/11-style terror attack.
Both theaters and surrounding buildings were threatened, people were told to leave their homes if living nearby.
Franco and Rogen previously canceled all media appearances related to the film.
It is not known if "The Interview," which satirizes the assassination of North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, will ever see the light of day, but it likely will not see the inside of a theater.