By RYAN GORMAN
The Sony cyber attacks have taken a dark turn -- the hackers are now threatening a terrorist attack on the scale of 9/11.
The Guardians of Peace (GOP) have threatened mass-scale terror attacks against theaters showing "The Interview," a Sony film starring Seth Rogen and James Franco that satirizes the assassination of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un.
The threats were disseminated from a message left on filesharing services that contain links to the leaked documents, according to BuzzFeed.
"We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places [sic] "The Interview" be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to," the chilling message reads.
"Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made," it continues. "The world will be full of fear.
"Remember the 11th of September 2001."
The hackers caution people from going to the showings and even advise them to leave their homes if they live close to a theater showing the film.
"The Interview" is set to premiere on Christmas Day.
The warning is not the first to come from GOP, but it is the most menacing.
Threats were previously made by the hackers against the families of Sony employees.
"Your family will be in danger," the hackers told workers at the movie studio.
In response, management had employees shut off all handheld devices with access to email or the corporate network.
No known ramifications have yet occurred to employees families.
The movie studio has not indicated it will change the movie's premiere date. Meanwhile, two former Sony employees filed a federal lawsuit against Sony on Tuesday, the Associated Press reported.
The lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. district court in Calif. and is seeking class-action status, alleges that Sony executives knew the company was vulnerable to a cyber-attack, but never took the proper measures to remedy its security flaws.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- TikTok mom shares what not to say to adoptive parents: ‘Please stop…
- Just in time for summer, here’s how to get $20 off already-discounted …
- Mom shares controversial ‘folding’ hack on TikTok: ‘I really don’t und…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!