"I'm just finding out that Katrina ... Katrina Dawson was the sister of a prominent barrister, Sandy Dawson, who has done some work for Channel Seven."
Australian broadcaster Natalie Barr was reporting live on air when she realized she personally knew one of the Sydney siege victims.
"Sandy Dawson, who I know, and I have friends who know."
The 38-year-old mother of three was one of two hostages killed in the 16-hour siege in downtown Sydney. The other victim was identified as 34-year-old Tori Johnson.
Many Twitter users who saw the broadcast responded with support and sympathy for the heartbroken anchor.
One viewer tweeted: You totally personified how we all are feeling. Much love.
The tragic event sparked a massive response on social media - with the hashtag #IllRideWithYou trending worldwide. Users offering support to Muslims in Australia who were too scared to ride on public transportation.
Muslim cleric Haron Monis, the suspected gunman, was shot and killed early Tuesday morning after holding 17 people against their will in a Lindt Chocolate cafe. Police say he has an "extensive criminal history" and reportedly sent hate mail to the parents of Australian soldiers killed in battle.
He had a list of previous criminal charges before the siege, including sexual assault and accessory to murder.
- Latest mortgage news: After flirting with 6%, rates retreat
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Best Refinance Rates for Summer
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- TikToker shares just how cool it is to buy a drink at a Korean conv…
- Unexpected umami recipes on TikTok that use MSG
- You don’t have to wait until Prime Day — a bunch of the best Calvin Kl…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!