This holiday season, UPS expects to send more than 585 million packages around the world. That's a lot of boxes and getting your last minute gift to your grandma in Alaska is no easy feat.
Here are some inside secrets on how UPS makes the magic happen:
First, they watch every move their employees make. UPS trucks track drivers' routes, how hard they're braking and even whether or not their seat belts are buckled. Most drivers have between 150 and 200 packages to deliver daily and the handheld device they have you sign for your deliveries make sure they're moving.
In May, Jack Levis, director of process management for UPS told NPR, "one minute of idle per driver per day is worth $500,000 of fuel at the end of the year."
Another secret of the brown box brigade? They can't turn left. Yep, UPS drivers and Derek Zoolander
have a lot in common.
Around 2001, UPS started asking drivers to cut down on left turns to reduce time spent in traffic. According to UPS, "even if this meant traveling a greater distance, results showed that more packages could be delivered in less time with reduced emissions by driving in a series of right-hand loops. It helped the bottom line, met consumer demands and increased safety."
All drivers have to graduate from a class called "Intergrad" where they carry packages packed with cinder blocks, learn to start their trucks with one hand while buckling up with the other, and run through a practice delivery route.
But their hard work is worth it - safe and efficient drivers are rewarded with gifts including bikes and grills. Those who work for 25 years without an accident are inducted into the UPS "Circle of Honor" and are given a sweet bomber jacket.
More on AOL:
Theme parks cash in on the holiday
Three crucial steps to setting up your 401(K)
5 new realities to planning your retirement
- Latest mortgage news: Rates jump to their highest since March 2020
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Your Best Refinance Rates for January 2022
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Delicious no-cheese dinner recipes from TikTok
- Dad reveals newborn to family with an ‘epic’ socially distanced debut:…
- Mom captures toddler’s ‘full spectrum’ of emotions in just 45 seconds
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!