Police in China are searching for more than 100 Vietnamese women who vanished last month after marrying men for money.
According to the China Daily, the women were sold for more than $18,000 as brides to men living in villages in Hebei province. They vanished after telling their husbands they were going out to eat with fellow Vietnamese brides in the area.
The BBC reports the matchmaker who sold them also disappeared leading the men to believe they have fallen victim to a scam..
Another source reported one bride later returned claiming she "lost consciousness" after the meal and woke up in a small house far away.
According to the police report, she claimed she was told she would be going somewhere else to find another husband. Police believe an organized ring might be involved in the women's disappearance.
Buying wives from abroad has become increasingly common in some parts of China, as well as human trafficking. Security experts blame the problem on gender imbalance due to China's One Child Policy.
Also on AOL:
Last of the Hong Kong protesters pack up and go
Secret to organizing your gift-giving list
Rock gives update on pal Tracy Morgan
One year later, Jahi is still on life support
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!