By RYAN GORMAN
HSBC reminded people their homes could be repossessed -- in a Christmas advertisement.
The Britain-based bank made the handy reminder in a sign posted in the window of a London branch, according to Guardian editor James Ball, who posted a picture to Twitter.
"Thanks to over 100,000 of you who trusted us with your mortgages this year," the sign said just above an ominous message.
"Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
The line drew much scrutiny on social media, but it is mandated by UK Financial Conduct Authority law.
HSBC spokesperson Neil Brazil told AOL News that while the bank understands "it doesn't look very festive, it is a legal requirement to have these words on all our UK mortgage adverts, and for them to be easily noticeable."
A similar disclosure is also required of all U.S. mortgage lenders.
"If you stop paying your mortgage, you could lose your home and damage your credit rating."
Keep that in mind the next few weeks while deciding who has been naughty and nice.
Also on AOL:
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!