How to make a nut brittle block to ship as a holiday gift
This year if you want to send something homemade, why not try a simple but impressive treat? Peanut brittle is fast and easy to make, and it ships wonderfully!
Martha shows you how to make nut brittle in a perfectly shippable way! In the package she also encloses a special touch – a hammer to break the brittle and directions on how to serve.
How to make a nut brittle:
- Put a half a cup of corn syrup in a heavy bottom sauce pan
- Add a quarter of a cup of cold water
- Add one and a half cups of granulated sugar
- Add a a pinch of salt
- Let the sugar melt in the liquid
- To avoid crystallization, brush the sides of the pot with water
- When the corn syrup mixture reaches 238F, add two and a half cups of peanuts
- Continue boiling until the syrup reaches a nice amber color
- Make sure every peanut is coated
- Add one teaspoon of high quality of vanilla extract
- Finally, add one teaspoon of baking soda
- Remove it from the heat and pour it into your prepared pan.