By RYAN GORMAN
Thousands of Marines are reportedly on heightened alert in advance of the Tuesday release of a report on alleged torture at the hands of CIA agents.
About 2,000 troops based in the Middle East have been warned to be ready to respond to attacks in retaliation for the findings made by the Senate Intelligence Committee, NBC News is reporting.
Amphibious ships manned by the U.S. Navy and Marines have also been deployed around the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Aden, a body of water between Yemen and Somalia that sits south of the Red Sea.
Several Marines and Ospreys are also in at least one land base in the Mediterranean, according to the report.
The report, in the works for months, is expected to detail various known and possibly unknown torture of terror suspects across CIA outposts referred to as "black sites."
The alleged torture in the years after the 9/11 terror attacks, which including waterboarding, was referred to by the Bush administration as "advanced interrogation techniques."
Current U.S. President Barack Obama infamously said, regarding the tactics: "We may have tortured some folks."
Marines and other U.S. military personnel are permanently stationed throughout Europe and the Middle East and are often used to provide security to U.S. Embassies.
The official who spoke to NBC News declined to provide exact numbers or locations.
US prepares for security risks from torture report
Frenchman held 3 years by al-Qaida freed in Africa
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Upgrade your favorite foods with these easy air fryer hacks
- Learn the basics of at-home baking with this perfect chocolate chip co…
- Chriselle Lim is changing the way millennial and Gen Z moms work
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!