By RYAN GORMAN
The mayor of a district in Istanbul twice hit a blind man while he spoke on behalf of disabled people.
Altınok Öz, who is in charge of the Kartal district, in Turkey's largest city, twice smacked Özgür Uğur in the face while he spoke December 3 on the International Day of Disabled Persons. Uğur is a representative of the disabled person's uint, according to Hurriyet News.
As Uğur talks, Öz sidles up behind him and taps the back of his head. He then smacks him on the cheek. Uğur then turns around and the men embrace as those in the room laugh.
The outraged Turkish public took to social media to vent their rage, but both men insist the slaps were just "a joke," according to a statement obtained by the paper.
The pair insists they are as close as "father and son" and that the smacks were a joke that is part of a "greeting ritual."
Uğur said the smacks and embrace were a "beautiful greeting" before posing a tongue-in-cheek question.
"Can't people see the full picture? Are they blind?"
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!