Remember the case of the 100 missing brains from Wednesday morning? Well as it turns out, they weren't actually missing at all.
University of Texas officials released a statement Wednesday explaining its 100 human brains that were believed to be missing were actually disposed of in 2002.
It was about half the university's collection that was reported missing earlier this week and a professor told the Austin American-Statesman, "We think somebody may have taken the brains, but we don't know at all for sure."
Multipleoutlets report the university obtained the brains in 1986 from the Austin State Hospital under a "temporary possession" agreement.
The collection included brains inflicted with Parkinsons, dementia and Down syndrome.
But the university says when it obtained them in the '80s they were in such poor condition they couldn't be used for research or teaching, so they were eventually destroyed.
University officials now say a committee will review the decision to dispose of the brains.
"As researchers and teachers, we understand the potential scientific value of all of our holdings and take our roles as stewards of them very seriously," UT said in a statement.
The University also said there was "no evidence" one of the missing brains belonged to sniper Charles Whitman, as previously thought.
UT says it's also looking into reports some of the brains were sent to other universities or health institutions.
This video contains an image from Simon Hucko / CC BY NC ND 2.0.
More from AOL
Pantone picks Marsala as top color of the new year
Flashback: 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' turns 25!
Launch of new Orion spaceship has NASA flying high
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!