By RYAN GORMAN
Bill Cosby's tattered legacy has taken yet another blow.
The beleaguered comedian has stepped down from Temple University's board of trustees after 32 years in the role, the Philadelphia Inquirer first reported. The announcement came as sexual assault allegations continue to mount against the showbiz icon.
Cosby, 77, reportedly left the seat to avoid being a distraction to the school.
"I have always been proud of my association with Temple University," Cosby said in a statement released by the university. "I have always wanted to do what would be in the best interests of the university and its students.
"As a result, I have tendered my resignation from the Temple University Board of Trustees."
The Board released a statement saying it "thanks him for his service to the university."
Cosby was the face of the Philadelphia school for decades prior to stepping down. His presence on campus and at events, including graduation ceremonies, was synonymous with the student experience.
The actor often addressed students and offered them life advice.
He graduated from Temple in 1962, only years before first appearing on television screens across the country. He was inducted into the school's athletic Hall of Fame in 1984, for football and track.
Cosby reportedly met one of his accusers, of which there are now more than a dozen who have publicly spoken, through the school's track and field program.
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…