By RYAN GORMAN
An American Airlines plane at JFK International Airport was evacuated Sunday afternoon because of a bomb threat, but authorities found no explosives on the plane.
The flight from Barcelona was held on the tarmac away from the terminals until Port Authority Police were able to investigate the claim and de-plane the passengers, according to passengers. Officials announced hours later that the plane was cleared.
Fire officials first reported the bomb threat on Twitter at 12:15 p.m. FDNY personnel were called to the scene at 12:04 p.m., a spokesperson told AOL News. The threat was made over the phone, according to multiple reports.
The Boeing 767 was surrounded by police who slowly allowed the passengers to evacuate via air stairs, images from the scene showed.
Passengers were then held in a grassy area away from the runway before being bussed to the terminal, according to passenger tweets. Investigators and bomb sniffing dogs then searched the aircraft for evidence of a bomb but found nothing.
The flight landed at 12:01 p.m., in New York, about 30 minutes ahead of schedule, according to FlightAware.
A message left with Port Authority Police seeking further details has yet to be returned.
This is a developing story, more information will come as it is made available.
Also on AOL:
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!