By RYAN GORMAN
Exonerated Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson has finally broken his silence since the August 9 fatal shooting of unarmed black teen Michael Brown.
Wilson wrote an open letter to supporters in the hours after a grand jury decided against charging him for the divisive killing and as protests erupted around the country.
"I would like to thank you all for standing up for me during this stressful time," Wilson wrote, according to a transcript released by KSDK. "Your support and dedication is amazing and it is still hard to believe that all of these people that I have never met are doing so much for me."
The letter was released in addition to a statement released by Wilson's attorneys on his behalf. It emerged as details of his grand jury testimony and pictures from a hospital visit shortly after the Brown killing were made public Monday night by authorities.
Wilson joined the chorus of those asking protestors to remain peaceful, in his statement, and also thanked his supporters.
The embattled cop admitted in the separate letter that video of a pro-Wilson rally brought him to tears, and expressed his gratitude to those who sided with his version of the events that led to Brown's violent death.
"I don't know how to thank you all enough," said Wilson. "I wish I could attend meet you, hug you, and personally thank you for all of your continued support, however, due to my and my families [sic] safety I am unable to.
Wilson asked that the letter not be given to media, but those wishes were ignored just as the pleas from Brown's parents for protests to remain peaceful no matter the grand jury outcome.
The vindicated man said he was given regular updates on support, he said.
"Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and know that I would do the same for any of you."
Wilson closed the letter by asking everyone to keep his "family in blue" in their hearts and prayers as they handled the unenviable task of maintaining order in Ferguson and the surrounding area.
"They have all made a sacrifice to their own lives ... to ensure that the riots and protests in Ferguson were as safe as they could be."
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 2.0% APR (15 yr)
- Experts Urge Americans to Refinance in 2021
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Traveling this summer? Snag this Samsonite luggage set now for over…
- TikTok is loving this woman’s elaborate work-from-home ‘hack’
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next outdo…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!