Are you one of those people who's always in a relationship -- or maybe you're perpetually single?
Well, your status might have something to do with your genes, according to a new study out of China.
Researchers in Beijing discovered the gene named 5-HTA1. Carriers are reportedly 20 percent more likely to be single.
According to the Daily Mirror: "5-HTA1 is thought to lower serotonin levels -- a feel-good chemical -- which causes people to feel uncomfortable in close relationships."
Carriers are also generally more neurotic and have a higher rate of depression.
Researchers found those attributes are "detrimental to the formation, quality and stability of relationships."
Some experts questioned the reliability of the research -- this was from a relatively small sample size of 600 people, and all of them students.
One relationship expert told the Daily Mail: "If someone's difficulties with dating are flagged up to them, I believe they can learn to interact in a way that will make them more successful in meeting somebody."
Still, when Grandma asks you again this Christmas why you're still not married, you can tell her she's at least a teeny bit responsible.
Also on AOL:
Guy's bizarre breakup text goes viral
What your favorite pizza says about you
11 facts you may not know about your clothes
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!