Are you one of those people who's always in a relationship -- or maybe you're perpetually single?
Well, your status might have something to do with your genes, according to a new study out of China.
Researchers in Beijing discovered the gene named 5-HTA1. Carriers are reportedly 20 percent more likely to be single.
According to the Daily Mirror: "5-HTA1 is thought to lower serotonin levels -- a feel-good chemical -- which causes people to feel uncomfortable in close relationships."
Carriers are also generally more neurotic and have a higher rate of depression.
Researchers found those attributes are "detrimental to the formation, quality and stability of relationships."
Some experts questioned the reliability of the research -- this was from a relatively small sample size of 600 people, and all of them students.
One relationship expert told the Daily Mail: "If someone's difficulties with dating are flagged up to them, I believe they can learn to interact in a way that will make them more successful in meeting somebody."
Still, when Grandma asks you again this Christmas why you're still not married, you can tell her she's at least a teeny bit responsible.
Also on AOL:
Guy's bizarre breakup text goes viral
What your favorite pizza says about you
11 facts you may not know about your clothes
- Latest mortgage news: After flirting with 6%, rates retreat
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Nordstrom’s 4th of July sale is on — Here are over 25 of the best d…
- Preschool teacher shares student’s head-turning comment while playing …
- Mom brought to tears by toddler’s reaction to TikTok prank
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!