UPDATE: Barbie book "I Can Be a Computer Engineer" pulled off Amazon.
By ISABELLE CHAPMAN
The 2010 children's book titled: "Barbie: I Can Be a Computer Engineer" has been making waves this week. In the book, Barbie is taking a computer class and has an assignment to create a computer game. This seems like a great idea, except the writers of the book have given Barbie no coding skills.
On the first page, Barbie's little sister Skipper asks Barbie what she's up to on her computer. Barbie, who is drawing puppies on her screen, announces to Skipper that she is brainstorming for a computer game. However, she can't create the game by herself. Barbie tells Skipper: "I'm only creating the design ideas ... I'll need Steven's and Brian's help to turn it into a real game!"
Barbie then goes on to infect her and Skipper's computer with a virus. Instead of fixing the problem herself, as one would expect by the title of the book, Barbie instead enlists the help of two men (previously mentioned Steven and Brian) to do the work for her.
The book went viral this week, after Pamela Ribon wrote a take down of it in Gizmodo called "Barbie F*cks It Up Again."
The book has even acquired its own hashtag: #FeministHackerBarbie. The Internet has unleashed its fury at the Barbie brand and the book, providing for some pretty hilarious tweets.
However, as of Thursday, TechCrunch reported that the book has been pulled from Amazon.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Nikki and Brie Bella share their must-have mom gear ahead of Mother…
- There are so many cute tie-dye joggers on sale for cheap at Nordstrom …
- These geometric wine glasses will make even Trader Joe’s wine feel fan…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!