(Reuters) - Bono, frontman of the Irish rock group U2, required hours of surgery for fractures to his face and shoulder blade and to have metal plates inserted in his arm after a cycling accident in New York's Central Park, Rolling Stone magazine said on Wednesday.
The 54-year-old singer was trying to avoid another cyclist on Sunday when the accident occurred, forcing cancellation of the group's weeklong appearance on NBC's "The Tonight Show."
"Bono was rushed to New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center's Emergency Department and underwent 'multiple X-rays and CAT scans' followed by hours of surgery," the magazine said.
It reported that the bone in the upper arm shattered in six places and tore through the skin, requiring three metal plates and 18 screws to repair the injury.
On Monday, the singer had more surgery on his fractured left pinky.
Bono's spokeswoman, when asked for a comment on the extent of his injuries and his prognosis, said there was nothing new to add beyond what was reported in Rolling Stone.
The group announced the singer's accident and injuries in a statement on its website on Sunday.
"Bono has injured his arm in a cycling spill in Central Park and requires some surgery to repair it. We're sure he'll make a full recovery soon, so we'll be back!" it said.
An orthopedic surgeon told the magazine that Bono would need intensive therapy but was expected to make a full recovery. It was also unclear how Bono's injuries will affect the group's upcoming tour.
Sunday's cycling accident was the second harrowing experience for the rocker in less than a week. A private plane in which Bono was traveling from Ireland to Germany last week lost its rear hatch as it was approaching Berlin airport. The pilot managed to land it safely.
Last month, Bono also revealed on a British talk show that the reason he always wears his trademark sunglasses was because he has suffered from eye disease glaucoma for two decades. Glaucoma can lead to damage to the optic nerve and gets worse over time. Without treatment it can result in blindness.
In 2010 Bono suffered a spinal injury while preparing for a tour and underwent emergency surgery in Germany. The injury delayed part of the tour.
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…