A family in Virginia is looking for answers after they claim animals rights group PETA stole their dog and then killed it.
Wilbur Cerate told WAVY this surveillance footage shows two workers taking his Chihuahua Maya from the family's front porch.
He told the station, "I understand if they pick up my dog if it was in a tree or another place, but this is in my house."
This happened in October and he says the workers came back a few days later with a fruit basket to tell him his dog had been euthanized and apologize.
The workers were charged with grand larceny but those were later dropped because the video did not show criminal intent.
On average, PETA euthanizes 2,000 dogs and cats each year at it's animal shelter in Virginia. The group has actively promoted a video explaining the organization's reasons for euthanizing animals.
"In 2013, we euthanized 1,805 ferrell, sick, suffering, dying, aggressive and otherwise unadoptable animals."
But Cerate says his dog wasn't in any position to be put down. PETA has refused to release any statement about the incident.
More from AOL
NY trustee for Madoff investors collects over $10B
Police storm ashram in India in search of guru
New auto-lacing shoe technology
- Your Best Refinance Rates for January 2022
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Latest mortgage news: Rates jump to their highest since April 2020
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- This weekend only, leggings are buy one get one free at Yummie
- Cozy tea recipes that are peak winter aesthetic
- 5 pistachio recipes where they’re the star ingredient
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap